As Marxists, we know that if you survive by selling your labour power to a boss, you’re a worker. That’s not fundamentally altered by the amount of money you sell your labour power for.
Therefore, the squads of footballers currently in Ukraine and Poland for the 2012 European Championships are technically made up of workers and it is to them that we make this appeal. To Bro. Rooney, who earns £26,000 every day (the same as the median annual wage in the UK), to Bro. Ronaldo, whose prospective bosses at Manchester City propose to pay him £400,000 per week in order to lure him away from his current workplace in Madrid, and to Bro. Terry (£170,000 per week), we say — recognise your true class interests, comrades! Empty your pockets and support a working-class newspaper.
While we’re waiting for them to get back to us, we turn to you — people who make less in a year than Wayne Rooney makes in a single day — for financial support. For workers’ footballers on workers’ wages, support Solidarity!
You can help by:
* Taking out a monthly standing order. There is a form at www.workersliberty.org/resources and below Please post to us at the AWL address below.
* Making a donation. You can send it to us at the address below (cheques payable to “AWL”) or do it online at www.workersliberty.org/donate
* Organising a fundraising event
* Taking copies of Solidarity to sell at your workplace, university/college or campaign group.
* Get in touch to discuss joining the AWL.
More information: 07796 690 874 / email@example.com / AWL, 20E Tower Workshops, 58 Riley Rd, SE1 3DG.
Total raised so far: £13,495
This week we have raised £289 — from fundraising, donations and one new standing order. Thanks to Aidan, North East London AWL (film event), Sean and Sacha.