The AWL is expanding its activity, and needs to raise money to do it. Total so far (9 March 2012): £9,787.
From time to time someone asks us: "Why do you charge for your paper? That's not very socialist." It should be obvious that, in a capitalist world where everything costs money, it's expensive to produce a newspaper – but the point is easy to forget when it comes to the broader, day-to-day and week-to-week functioning of a socialist organisation. Without money, we cannot do what we need to do.
The AWL is growing. We are now publishing Solidarity weekly, setting up new branches and expanding all areas of our activity. If we are going to continue this, we also need to expand our sources of funds. That's why we're launching an appeal to raise £20,000 by the end of August. A donation from you, or a regular standing order, will help.
Help us do what? It should go without saying that, unlike in some working-class organisations, we don't spend our money on lavish offices, slap up meals or exorbitant salaries for our staff. We need money to:
1. Continue publishing Solidarity as a weekly;
2. Establish a fund for publishing high quality books and pamphlets, starting with a book on the politics of Antonio Gramsci;
3. Improve our website;
4. Organise events like our socialist feminist conference in November, our New Unionism dayschool next month and our Ideas for Freedom summerschool;
5. Organise study courses to educate a new layer of Marxist thinkers and activists, particularly among young people;
6. Build on our work as one of the main forces fighting for rank-and-file democracy and control in the labour movement, and against the accommodation of much of the left to the trade union bureaucracy;
7. Build on the development of a broad, democratic student movement against fees and cuts, in which our role has been irreplaceable;
8. Manage to pay the rent on and expenses of running our central office.
This is by now a left-wing cliché, but naturally we have no big money backers. We rely on contributions from workers and students like you! So please consider:
• Taking out a monthly standing order to the AWL. (The larger the better, obviously, but even a few pounds a month really does help.) You can download a standing order form here. You can submit it straight to your bank, give it to an AWL member or send it to us at the address below.
• Making a donation. You can send it to us at the address below (cheques payable to "AWL") or do it online here.
• Organise a fundraising event like a gig or social.
• Taking copies of Solidarity to sell at your work, university/college or campaign group.
• Getting in touch to discuss joining the AWL.
For more information on any of the above, contact us: 077796 690 874 / firstname.lastname@example.org / AWL, 20E Tower Workshops, 58 Riley Road, SE1 3DG