The New Labour government has promoted itself as a leading advocate of a new global agreement on controlling greenhouse gas emissions. Tory ranks are full of people who deny that global warming is even a problem, and they will apply pressure if the Tories win the general election.
But what New Labour has actually done is wretched. In 1997 the Labour Government set itself a 13-year target to reduce carbon dioxide emissions by 2010 to 20% below 1990 levels. In 2006 emissions were the highest they had been since 1997, only five per cent below 1990 levels, excluding international aviation and shipping, and probably higher including those factors.
Global warming will not be fixed unless we have governments willing to confront and take on the big capitalist corporations. The Tories certainly will not do that. The current Labour leadership will not do it either.
Capitalism, the rule of private profit, is by its very nature short-sighted and irresponsible, putting individual greed above social foresight. The labour movement must organise to take industry out of the hands of the profiteers!
We support the Campaign Against Climate Change’s drive for “one million climate jobs”, employed by a National Climate Service. We believe that demand must be linked with others.
• For a shorter working week.
• For workers’ control of production; workers’ plans are central to reducing carbon emissions at work and asserting workers’ right to manage production in all areas of work.
• For cheap or free public transport; for integrated transport systems to provide a real alternative to the car.
• For public ownership and workers’ control of the energy and transport industries.
• And taxing the rich to provide the resources.